if you just got here, start at the beginning. it's worth it

Sunday, April 26, 2009

First Post, Background

So this is my first post to this blog. I've never blogged before, so my style may seem odd to those of you seasoned bloggers. Yes, I know, it's not August quite yet, but I figured I wanted to record all of my thoughts before, during, and possibly after my experience.

Though a minority of undergraduates study abroad, doing so seems to be something of a common college experience, soon to be my own. I am told that out of the University of California campuses, San Diego (UCSD) leads in students studying abroad in any manner, and out of the six colleges at UCSD, Eleanor Roosevelt College (ERC) has by far the most students studying abroad. I happen to belong to both, so in short, I am in good company.

Currently, I am a first-year student, which will me a second-year when I study abroad next fall. It is my understanding that many students study abroad junior year, but I have decided to do it this fall because I plan to graduate early—three to five quarters to be exact, making me part of the Class of 2010 or the Class of 2011, though more likely the latter. This means that right now I have junior standing and will have senior standing after the end of this school year. Yeah, I took a lot of Advance Placement tests and plenty of community college classes in and during high school to get to where I am, and now there’s little doubt that it shows in my current standing.

Unlike many of my classmates, only a handful of whom I know fully intend on staying till graduation, I quite openly like UCSD, and I love ERC because of its international focus. ERC was my first college of choice when I applied to UCSD, and now I am honored to be studying here as part of its 20th entering class. Unlike many of my fellow students, I take great interest in the Making of the Modern World program (MMW), and am confident that the vast majority of ERC students do come out of the six-quarter sequence more knowledgeable about the world. When they graduate, I’m sure they will feel that the experience contributed to their education in a way that other general education requirements, even those at the other colleges at UCSD, do not. I originally entered college with the plan to complete a double major in Linguistics (Spec. in Language in Society) and International Studies-Political Science, but because of my interest in MMW (especially in quarters 2 and 3) I have recently found the desire to pick up a minor in the Study of Religion.

In studying abroad, I chose Hong Kong with my International Studies major in mind. The International Studies curriculum is interdisciplinary, with students having to choose a primary track (for me Political Science) and a secondary track (Anthropology). With my main focus being in Political Science, I was hoping to learn more about the "one country, two governments" system in place since the British handover in 1997. As I need an area of regional specialization for ERC as well as for my International Studies major, I have chosen (East) Asia to reflect this. For one of my classes, I wrote a four thousand, five hundred-word paper on the bilingual/trilingual language situation in public and private life in Hong Kong. In addition, Hong Kong forms a complicated and unique part of my heritage. While my father is a natural-born American from Detroit, Michigan, my mother is originally from Hong Kong, and immigrated to the United States when she was 11. The history of my mother's side of the family is directly influenced by Chinese politics and history, because her parents were both from well-off families in Hangzhou, near Shanghai. They fled south when the communists came to power, first going to nationalist-controlled Taiwan, then to what was then the British Crown Colony of Hong Kong. My father’s parents are from rural Guangdong Province (what was long called Canton) yet he himself has never set foot outside North America. This, in combination with the fact that my mother immigrated at such a young age means that my exposure to any variety of Chinese has been minimal at very best. I am truly a third-generation American.

So to make myself clear, I do not speak Chinese.

Well, I speak broken conversational Mandarin and, to a lesser extent, Cantonese, but the fact of the matter is that my household was English-only and I learned my first Mandarin word around the age of 4 and never realized that other languages don’t necessarily follow English grammar until I was probably around 10. Still I can barely read and less can I hold a mildly sophisticated conversation. My second and third languages are Spanish and French, which I speak with relative fluency. This fact, while astonishing to some, should constantly be considered in my posts here on out. I will need time to adjust to Chinese customs and more time to gain moderate fluency in Cantonese and or Mandarin. Because of this disconnect, I comfortably refer to myself as first and foremost American.

I chose the University of Hong Kong (HKU) because it has a rich history and prestigious rankings. It is above the University of California schools worldwide and is known as being one of the top five universities in Greater Asia. Founded by the British in 1911, it has a traditional coat of arms, and like most universities in Hong Kong, teaches nearly all its classes in English (I'm assuming for now the British Received Pronunciation standard). In this sense, I do not need to worry too much about language barriers, at least within the university. The two other universities that UC sends students to are the Chinese University of Hong Kong and the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (of which my uncle was founding president and at which my cousin currently teaches and researches). HKU is the hardest to get into of the three, both in general and on exchange, with just eight spots for the twenty-five-plus UCSD that applied for this coming fall. I am fortunate to be going there.

In the coming weeks before my departure, I plan to write more about my application process and the current thoughts going around my head because I have a lot to say. If you've read this far into my initial post, I congratulate you and thank you, and hope that you’ll keep reading. In attempting to find an appropriate end to this initial post, what comes to mind now is a phrase used for the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing:
北京欢迎您。(Beijing welcomes you.)
Or in my case,
香港欢迎我,(Hong Kong welcomes me,)
hopefully.

*

3 comments:

  1. Oh James! I'm so proud of you for getting into this program and SUPER excited you're going to Hong Kong!
    You are going to have SO much fun. You'll get to explore and practice you're Canto in HK. But don't worry about having trouble with language over there; a lot of people can speak/understand English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today I went to parent orientation at UCSD. It was quite informative and because of all the questions from the audience, I was a bit worried until I found out the HKU is up on its paperwork and James is in control of the situation! I can sleep at night now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loosely consider myself an Earthling, nonetheless an human or an American
    I have to say, you wrote a lottttt, and you may graduate college before I get through high school?! I call bs!!! (you can't, it's not fair)
    Make sure you bring me back Olympic/Hong Kong memorabilia, namely the money/those cute* little panda thingies.

    ReplyDelete