if you just got here, start at the beginning. it's worth it

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Some Notes Before I Go

Tomorrow, I leave for Hong Kong and the University of Hong Kong, where I will spend the next four months studying and sightseeing. I’ll leave for Los Angeles International Airport at 6 a.m. for my first leg to San Francisco. From there I have a thirteen-and-half hour flight direct to Hong Kong. I’m all packed but not necessarily ready to go.

I’m still nervous as ever as I anticipate my long journey and longer transition. But already I am confident that I will quickly make Hong Kong my home away from home. At UCSD I served as an American student to help orient international students and in the same manner, HKU has set me up with a Hong Kong student to help me, now the international student, find my way. While I’ll mosey my way to the university from the airport, she has graciously offered to show me the campus the day after.

I arrive on August 21 and have orientation the following Friday, August 28. Class begins on September 1. Maybe by then I’ll get used to British English orthography and the metric system. Surely by then I’ll have bought blankets and a pillow.

Next time, I’ll be writing from Hong Kong.

2 comments:

  1. james, it's nima. I dont have facebook anymore. i stopped using fb. i thought facebook was passé and twitter is better for following the news and less time consuming. anyways, you gave me instructions to get your finals from the previous quarter. my email is nrassool@ucsd.edu. if you want to contact me about it regarding the issue. have a good stay in hong kong. good luck.

    ReplyDelete