if you just got here, start at the beginning. it's worth it

Friday, September 4, 2009

Shopping for Classes, Part 1

At UCSD and, as far as I can figure, most American universities, enrollment works in a simple way: you sign up for classes months in advance, before the start of the term, and once the term starts, there is a certain period of time to alter your schedule.

Here at HKU, the university has scheduled out add/drop period for courses to coincide with the first two weeks of classes. This means that shopping for classes, in which we attend say ten classes to choose four or five of them, is a way of life. Though I was warned at the Hong Kong orientation at UCSD last May that this would be the case, actually experiencing it has been quite different.

I hope to sign up for five classes plus Cantonese, and planned to go to eleven classes to see which ones to choose. Out of those eleven, I have decided not to check out two of them. So far I have attended four, all of which I feel I want to take. Because I still have five classes to check out, this creates a problem I like the content of the courses and have become somewhat immune to professors’ individual teaching styles. Whoever it is, I still take extensive notes and attend most every lecture.

2 comments:

  1. Hello -- I was actually searching for the shuttle schedule to Stanley Ho Sports Centre when I came across your blog.... I am a US citizen (Taiwan-born) studying at the LLM program (postgraduate program in law) here, so just wanted to say hi. Btw, I am thinking about auditing a few undergraduate classes (philosophy, English, Chinese, etc.) -- any suggestions about good classes? Let me know if you want to meet up on campus at some point.

    p.s. you don't happen to know of any university groups that do hiking around the island, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's amazing that I come up on such a search! How is LLM coursework? I heard what you guys go through is intense. As for undergraduate classes to audit, I really like my Traditional Chinese Society class (SOCI0052), which is more anthropologically based than anything.

    As for hiking clubs, I really couldn't tell you. I'd suggest seeing the HKU Student Union website since I believe all clubs are officially subunits of the HKUSU. I hope to see you auditing my Traditional Chinese Society Class!

    ReplyDelete